The report considers the following parameters to determine overall rank of a country.
- Starting a business
- Dealing with Construction Permits
- Getting Electricity
- Registering Property
- Getting Credit
- Protecting Investors
- Paying Taxes
- Trading Across Borders
- Enforcing Contracts
- Resolving Insolvency
Some interesting facts
- Singapore has been topping the chart since year 2009.
- In 2013, Singapore ranks 1st in this list, India ranks 132 and USA ranks 4.
- Singapore even though at the top of this list, ranks number 1 in only one category – Trading Across Borders.
- India ranks 184 in Enforcing Contracts beating only Timor-Leste (this is the first time I heard this country name).
- All of India’s neighbor rank higher than India in Ease of Doing Business.
Breakdown of Categories with other facts
Many countries have brought economic reforms to improve their rankings and many are in the process. Some countries still ignore this report citing various reasons. However, if this measurement can be a tool for growth then nations should derive inputs from this report and improve.